Wednesday 27 January 2010

A note on the mental health system 2 and religion

or perhaps mental health system 3.

This is a quick note on a long thought process about what would be the next or a right (?or perfect) mental health system be.

An answer I came to was unending human compassion, unconditionally given to all by all, would be the solution where mental healthcare was done through people looking after each other. It extends to them know what to do so there would be a public awareness of the extremes and variety of the human condition. In practice this would be the ultimate aim of a true antistigma movement: to remove the stigma of the symptoms as well as the diagnoses.

This is a grand scheme of course, and this note is not really about that scheme. Its just about the realisation that the pre-mental health system that was religion preached a similar gospel. Love thy neighbour, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The best for us all would be a society, where everyone had time for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maan Iapsi. It is a message seen across many religions and also in certain progresssive thinkers in psychiatry, for example Peter Breggin. They all have the message of love (in its widest meaning) and compassion to be the solution to the human condition and it's variety. I think acceptance of people's difference is so important but this, to me, is implicit in true compassion and love.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"