Saturday 29 August 2009

Taking photos without a camera

This is a technique for learning photography. It can be done anywhere. Its partly about learning to see differently and partly about practicing thinking.

Look for photographs. See the beauty around you. Think how you would capture it. Think how it would come out. Imagine what might work and not work.

This can be done while waiting for a bus, walking to work, walking around in a park, at a wedding. Just take a moment to look around for a photograph. Think about how you would compose the shot. Think about the focal length, the aperture and shutter speed. Think about how the light is working. Think about what you might have to do to compensate for the camera's light meter getting it wrong. Look for the angle to capture the shot: is it best shot close up or portrait format.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"