Saturday 29 October 2011

Is the equality movement driving the reduction of disability?

Yes, no and maybe.

Yes. Of course. The problems of disability becomes less as technology advances make breakthroughs possible and there are changes in society which bring about improvement for those worst off.

No. There are many disability issues which the equality movement doesn't touch upon. There are many disadvantaged groups not protected in the same way the disabled are but still suffer worse outcomes in life because of a characteristic, e.g. Children Looked After. Continuining health and social care and other support offered to the mentally ill must be offered to help these groups because they suffer the prognosis of disability without the label or catgorisation, nor the privilege of the invalid.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"