Saturday 29 October 2011

A measure of poorer outcomes which is related to disability and inequality

Right now I have to separate the two concepts. Inequality is not the same as disability. It should be though in practical terms. I mean it. The priviledge of the invalid is what is extended to the disabled but not other disadvantaged groups.

Of course without a hierachy of inequalities, analogous but not akin to disability hierachies, then this couldn't work but disability without hierachy doesn't work anyway. A psychiatric patient or expatient suffers significantly worse life outcomes tyhan the individual who had depression once twenty years ago. The person with gluten allergies has less problems than thalidomide babies.

Disability law is meant to be creating equality but it seems it has lost the goal of its mission. In practice its application falls short. The legal system currently advantages this with lower levels of disability to rectify the problem, I.e. people with common mental disorders are well protected and have a better outcomes compared to those with severe psychiatric illness which continue to have very poor life outcomes.

The equality level for the worst off continues to be very bad whereas the the disadvantaged but less so can easily show a trend of improvement when, in fact, the worst off are still doing very poorly.

This would suck if this were the present reality.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"