Friday 16 March 2012

Portraits of Bob Whitaker speaking

Robert Whitaker created the amazing Mad in America internet site. I saw
him speak last year and he's great.

These are photos from last year's Hearing Voices Network event. It was a
tough shoot as always with my Canon 50D and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens.
The lens only works at f2.8 and at the focusing distances I was shooting
at this meant a depth of field of around 6cm. Perhaps a little more. The
lighting conditions were also poor and these were shot at ISO6400 -
above the natural range of the Canon 50D. I had to rely on a monopod to
help get sharper shots with the lower shutter speeds like 1/90sec at 320mm.

The shots were processed from RAW using Canon Digital Photo
Profressional then edited using Gimp, the opensource alternative to
Photoshop. The converted-from-RAW images are a so different to the final
edited version. The first step is Unsharp Mask. I used settings of
around Pixel Size 1; Amount 250-350%; Threshold 1 or 2. This boost the
sharpness but it also creates bobbling and grain because of the high ISO
which is why I went for black and white for most of the shots. The
colour shots have been colour adjusted using Hue/Saturation to bring out
the colours and correct for any colour casts. The key element is the
editing of curves. I usually deepen the blacks a lot and create a lot of
contrast while sightly boosting highlights to get the look I like.

These 5 are my favourite from 18 different edits made from a variety of
shots. I'll email the ones across which didn't make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"