Monday 19 March 2012

Suicide isn't a right

It is a priviledge to get an assisted suicide. The law is being tested in the UK and other countries have more progressive laws but there's still a long way to go before assisted suicide is consider a legal right in the UK and a legal right for those who have experienced mental illness too.

Assisted death isn't a great option for any human being. It is the end of their life but it is a choice some of us have to make rather than be forced to live with so many days wanting death. There are few solutions I've coming across to living with the desire to die. Those I found didn't seem to work.

Perhaps the shift needs to come with a shift in research into psychosocial options. By this I mean changing society as well as changing people through chemicals and talking.

There is a lot of internal suffering which drives a person to want to die. It is usually a long process when it comes to a suicide with capacity to understand what death means.

I want to kill myself but I haven't always felt this way when things got bad or when things were good. It wasn't an overnight change where I found myself facing more days with suicidal thoughts than without. There were cycles of time and there are still periods where I feel less like wanting to die and simply want to stop living or even don't think about my death at all. Every once in a while I get close to making an attempt and occassionally I try something but I'm still, sadly, alive and not in the frame of mind to make an attempt.

I'm so keen on an assisted dying scheme to help me out. About 150 people with mental illnesses have been given a peaceful death by Dignitas according to their Wikipedia page. I would like to be one of them.

It will take a long time before I have this right. :-(

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"