Friday 25 February 2011

Dating anxiety

I don't know how people date. It stresses me out just thinking about it.

I have a strict rule. I don't date. I'm happy to go out with a girl as
friends. But a date? Woah. That's just crazy talk.

I wouldn't know what to do. Dating to me feels like I'd have to be
someone. I'd have to be impressive or suave or cool or something like
that. I wouldn't know how to do any of that. I feel like I'd have to
pretend to be someone to impress the girl.

Instead I go on non-dates. I meet a person as a friend. Often I
deliberately do something to make sure it's not a proper date, for
example I might dress badly or something. It try to make it as much like
two friends meeting up as possible.

I admit I'm not perfect at it. I do make an effort for a lady I like. I
do have feelings of lust and hopes that I might get laid, except that
never happens on first contact anyway because of my self-harm scars.

On these non-dates - some of which the other person hasn't realised they
weren't dates - am myself. It may not be perfect but it's surprising how
successful I've been. I've got lots of tales of women who've wanted to
sleep with me. I rarely tell the lads the truth that I can't take them
up on the opportunity, not until I trust them to be able to handle
seeing my vicious self-harm scars.

A couple of years ago I was going out with this great girl. We were
passionate and it was an intense relationship. It was a lot of fun too.
For the first few times we were together I avoided coming back to hers
and I think she thought I was gay but repressing it. In fact I just
didn't know what to do about my scars. I've self-harmed on an off for
most of my adult life. The scars were slight but I saw them as really
bad. The year before I met her I went through one of the worst
experiences of my life, an experience which conveys little meaning when
it's described as "psychosis", and during this period I was self-harming
prolifically. My left forearm looks like....well it looks almost
diseased until you look up close and see that the cuts -upon cuts are
things I've done to myself in my battle against the entity in my life.
The first night we were going to sleep together I showed her my scars.
She freaked out and threw me out.

So these non-dates don't usually have a purpose for me other than
friendship anyway. After all, I'm going to kill myself one day. There's
really no point in having a relationship. It would only mean I'd hurt
the other person when I finally succeed in taking my life.

I assume everyone has dating anxiety but when I see other people on
dates they seem so sure of themselves. I'm sure I seem sure of myself
but the reason is I'm not on a date. Perhaps it's just the
attractiveness which confidence brings, a confidence I create by not
being on a date nor trying to impress a woman. I'm lucky that I feel
comfortable joking with women about things like the research on sex and
mental health or the bawdy chatup lines I know. It means I'm usually the
best or the worst date ever.

The self-harm scars...welll they're not something that many people have
to deal with. I admit I used to have a semi-patholigcal inadequacy
because I've got a small penis but I've grown out of that. I'm sure many
psychologists could say a lot about that. I think ...hmmm....what would
be the psychiatric disorder....probably body dysmorphic disorder or
penis dysmorphic disorder....is more common than people are aware of.

I think most people deal with their dating anxiety with alcohol. It's
the best thing. It also helps with other things which make it useful on
a date. Sex. I'm talking about sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"