Sunday 27 February 2011

Disability and rectification of disability.

This piece is on the hierachy of disability in part but not necessarily. The idea is the difference between Caelic's disease and cancer as a disability, the idea that there are degrees of disability.

Mental ill health can carry the same levels of disability. "Can" is carefully used in this last sentence. Severe schizophrenia is devastating. Successful schizophrenia suffers experience levels of disability the likes of which no human should suffer. The same as physical disabilities.

It can not too. Mental ill health can be a milder disability. The social outcomes are far less for a common mental disorder, something akin to what's described by the distress continum. Real disability shatters lives. Great men and women, in whatever field, can be exploited for the 'weatlth' they can provide so escape the prognosis like the blind people who've succeeded in life.

Society wants those minds which fit within society's norms. The same as the problem of body. I'm not speaking of the fashion industry. I'm talking of any industry which disables a person without recourse to their specific disability.

Let's take a silly example. The legless in the military. What point is their in that sort of human? Well to the military nothing. They are baggage. Except their not.

Fuck it. This is a rubbish rant. I want to delete this. So I publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"