Tuesday 22 February 2011

Man: the mental illness

Bentall has done this better than me in his paper on happiness as a mental disorder. He's done what any critical psychiatrists would do, or any antipsychiatrist as they used to be known.

In the paper he applies the techniques of psychiatry and the tricks of research to expose the facile nature of diagnosis. I admit he's not quite hit the nail on the head. He's using this example of happiness pathologised to make the point about the ease with which the science of mental health can be applied to pathologise whatever. We all know happiness is what we want and perhaps this psychological element is what's behind the subtlety of what he's saying and so I'll attempt to replicate it.

Men. So mentally disordered. Responsible for the most murders. And crime. They have some neurobiological differences. They could be considered mental illnesses and responsible for their behaviour. It could be said that 75% of men successfully kill themselves and this is a result of the mental illness of being a man. Oh the distress. And it's not even recognised either. In the UK they're referred to secondary mental health services 20% less than women. They suffer so much and it's not even recognised.

Men...I mean people with a diagnosis of being a man...don't recognise their own illness and what impact it has. About 50% of the illness is present in the population. This epidemic must be stopped. We need funding to have the government take action. It's not about the risk of death from the mentally ill diagnosed with masculinity. The risk is small. The risk of them killing themselves, drug addiction or shorter life expectancy is what we need to fix.

We need not just funding for medication. We need funding for behavioural modification. We need men to become women...I mean normal.

Please, please help these people who've got a disability. They don't live as long, they are so distressed they successfully kill themselves more and they're murderers. Most murders and most wars were started by men.

Disregard all the evidence and go with your heart. Men are mentally ill and we need your support to make them like women...I mean heal them and make them normal again.

I do like a nice rant now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"