Saturday 13 March 2010

Cats tails

Photography can be simple.

This is an image I shot hungover one morning round a friend's flat. Her two cats were sitting to eat togther from the same bowl and I was trying to teach her that anyone can take an interesting photograph. It just takes seeing the moment and having the camera ready.

The shot's been edited to bring out the colour of the wood and the lines of the planks contrast nicely with the curves created by the cats' bodies and tails. Everything about this shot is simple. I've added a black border to show that it was shot full frame (without cropping) which is
something that's done out of photographic pride. The black border would be how it would have looked if it was printed full frame in the dark room though with a film there would be the detail of the film used imprinted into the celluloid.

I think it's ok that photos are cropped however there's still a part of me that wants to shoot full frame. It's something that gives a lot of credibility especially with people who are more interested in the ...cool of photography than the final image itself.

It can be something that can be an obsession that gets in the way of good photography though. The desire to stay true to film processes is an ethos skilled photographers can apply well with digital work however leaving a shot unedited because "that's proper photography" doesn't do justice to the shot. Professional photographers used a range of darkroom techniques to enhance and, in a sense, make a shot more real or as they saw it rather than how the camera processes it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"