Wednesday 10 March 2010

Human value

This poor soul is an advertisement. He still maintains his air of
dignity in the face of the profound shame of being a sign. He's probably
a student or an educated man come to the UK looking for streets paved
with gold.

Is it right that a conscious being, someone with awareness, will and a
soul is reduced to this. The man was ashamed of what he did but this was
all he could do to earn a living. He would probably have lived in
extreme poverty to have to debase himself such to earn enough to eat
doing this mindnumbing, spirit crushing work.

What humanity is there in this image? Only the soul of the human
standing resolute in the face of the stinking reality of the maladapted
society we live in.

As a participant in this image I feel a strange guilt. I took photos of
this man and his humilation. I am part of the same society that sees not
the beauty shared amongst us and the opportunity for work that makes the
best and the best use of all of us but instead blindly allows the
creation of jobs that demean. The modern evolution of the slavery.

This man is not meat. This man is not wood. He is alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"