Wednesday 10 March 2010

Depression

This dog reminds me of Churchill and he had a metaphor for depression:
the black dog.

I know little but snippets from his life. He was a drunk. He was a
fighter. He was hard and immoral when the time came, though in his
immorality (as with all) he did it because he thought it was right. I'm
specifically talking about the strategic bombing of Germany civilians.
He was a bad man but he was right for the time and its highly likely
that Britain wouldn't have been victorious without his dogged
determination, the dogged determination that comes from a life of
misery. His speeches were vital to the country's moral and while he may
not have written all of them his black energy rumbled through the
country with the strength that comes from suriving day after day of his
black dog.

He said one of my favourite off the cuff comments and is an eminently
quotable man.
"Madam. I may be drunk but you are ugly. At least I shall be sober in
the morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"