Sunday 7 March 2010

A little on the biopsychosocial model

Unhappiness has many causes. The biopsychosocial model explains them in their entirety.

It seems pretty easy to do on the biological side of things. Eat little, move little, stay indoors and drink a lot. Its a sure fire way to prepare for another trigger. The psychosocial ones are used the most powerful but it varies from person to person. Its lucky that life's hard and cruel. There's lots of triggers to choose from.

The variance of the significance of the factors of the biopsychosocial model amongst individuals is high and I think changes with individuals over time. Biological factors may not cause depression in me like they would in other people but thats because I've become resilient to them through many years of living with poor eating habits, addictions and never going to the gym. I don't think that's the same for everyone though. I think I've been like that for a long time. When I took psychiatric medication I needed very high levels - the pharmacists would ask if I was sure these were for me because the doses were enough for two people.

The biopsychosocial model is the start of a truly scientific understanding of the mind though it may in truth be the spiritual-biopsychosocial model. Both of these are concepts far in advance of the current consensus work of psychiatry which focuses on diagnosis and treatment based on operational definitions. It ends up with a system that understands all the materials in the world as they are and not as combinations of indivisibile elements. The mental health periodic table o elements is so far in the future its hardly worth conceiving however it will be the leap the Humane Genome Project or the Mendeleev and Meyer periodic tables were in other sciences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"