Saturday 6 March 2010

Medicalising lack of risk taking

Its understandable that a person would not want another human being to feel misery. There's is so much of it around. Many people don't like being miserable and would want care and concern. In fact many people may be miserable because they have a lack of care and concern from other people.

Mental healthcare exists because people are miserable and don't want to be, and for some its decided that their willingness to handle misery is a symptom of illness in itself. It could be argued that depression is not an illness and perhaps in later life that's true but in youth a person with the wisdom of a senior may not live well their younger years.

The folly of youth is an important aspect of early development without which an individual may end up characterless and featureless. I've met many a dull individual who have the mental illness of never having taken a risk in their entire life. It means that person has never really lived, never really experienced the complete range of life's experiences which come from the trials and the tribulations.

And yet what I've done here is medicalised something that is different from me. I've medicalised a way of thinking or feeling that I think is odd and should be changed to how I think or feel. What is not normal to me can so easily be rationalised as a mental illness. Taking the above example further I could conduct research possibly using the established measures for impulsiveness reversed and show a poor prognosis.

We live in an age where anything can be justified using and abusing evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"