Saturday 6 March 2010

A surprising result on love

I'd expected a search of articles in Google Scholar with "love" in the title to give a tiny number of studies compared to the number with "depression" in. In fact there are barely twice as many academic sources on depression as there are on love.


However since 2000 there are just over three times as many on depression as on love.

And drops back to around 2 times looking at sources from 2009.

There still significant. If I included "depressive", "melancholia" and other broad synonyms for intense unhappiness there may be a bigger effect.

The point I was going to make is that unhappiness is thoroughly medicalised however love doesn't seem to be. There'd be an interesting pub debate on whether is should be medicalised. In a way excessive love is - stalking may be considered a form of mental illness though I'm not sure under what diagnosis. I think there's a diagnosis in DSM-IV related to women who can't achieve orgasm. Liking sex too much is also in the American diagnostic criteria.

There certainly isn't a diagnosis for lack of love or avoidance of falling in love as far as I am aware. Living without that essential part of human life is something that many people live with, even people in relationships. The sadness of that makes me want to medicalise their sorrow, even if they don't recognise that they're missing out on a beautiful part of life.

The point I was hoping to make but I don't have the evidence to support it is that depression is medicalised because it affects people's work capability. A lack of love may cause depression but that is of little concern to medicine. It certainly offers no treatments. There are therapists who might advocate love as a treatment however they get struck off.

Would there ever be a society that could have "love leave" where a person needs to take time off because they've fallen in love and they want to enjoy that feeling and for it to blossom. I doubt I'd see that in my lifetime. It will be many decades before the shackles of Victorian conservatism and prudishness are overcome by progress towards the truer nature of humankind. The pub banter of "bet that person would chill out if they just had a shag" is where the wisdom remains.

I'm not sure if the barrier to a prescription of love (or sex in the jokey pub quote) becoming a regular treatment option is the prudish morality or the fact that the mental health care is becoming a system to keep people employed rather than anything to do with genuinely making life better for anyone. Certainly in the UK the people are seen as meat for the machine of society and improvements in mental healthcare are mainly in behavioural modification to get them back into whatever mindnumbing, soul crushing drivel that most people have to spend most of their adult lives doing.

Another post I have yet to write or perhaps I've written already is what I consider the next mental health system to be: unending, unconditional love for everyone by everyone. Its an insane idea but it comes from an understanding of why the second major mental health system (psychiatry) developed. Unconditional love for all means there would never have been the outcasts that were created as society changed during the Industrial Revolution/Age of reason. Homosexuality wouldn't have been treated as an illness. Psychosis would be an experience manageable in the community. Schizophrenia wouldn't exist.

I might as well as for heaven on earth....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"