Saturday 14 December 2013

Permanent HDR CCD

One quantity which improves with each new digital SLR CCD - the digital photo sensor - is the dynamic range. This is the capability to record the lightest and darkest areas of a high contrast scene. It's a common reason why shots don't come out how the eye sees the scene.

I expect it won't be long before top end full sized sensor slrs can achieve high enough dynamic range to make hdr techniques unnecessary. In the meantime cameras offer built-in hdr but this hdr is limited to still scenes if hdr is done using 3 sequential shots at standard exposure, under and overexposed.

I was think initially that a special ccd would be need which had three pixels for every effective pixel so all 3 shots needed for the hdr process can be shot in the same instant but it is unnecessary. It can be done with a standard ccd for whatever camera and an option to turn it into an hdr ccd using simple hardware/software tweaks.

The limitations are the low resolution and potential high processing demands (I wonder if these could be overcome by having dedicated hdr hardware). The processing problem would reduce image recall and continuous shooting performance. That is, of course, if it is done incamera rather than once the images are downloaded to a computer.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"