Sunday 13 November 2011

Biomedical or something else

I'm going to jump straight into this.

Monozygotic twin trials show a 50% concordance for schizophrenia. This evidence is significant in the medicalisation of schizophrenia as an illness because it follows biomedical lines of thinking.

I would dispute the result but I'm not going to. I'm going to consider 50% isn't biologically predisposed. Actually, all I can say is that sometimes monozygotic twins don't end up with both being schizophrenic or not. Something else is a big factor.

Any good doctor also understands it isn't an adopted twin trial from which the result comes from. These are the gold standard in genetics and they're not valued enough.

Schizophrenia was and perhaps still is a reason to take away a woman's child. My ardent hope is this never has to happen but some mothers arent ...well...they're not mothers to their child. In the past the diagnosis of schizophrenia could result in the summary removal of children because, of course, schizophrenia meant a life in the asylum system.

No one has yet seen the opportunity in this horrible injustice, at least not that I am aware of. Genetics is different from what commonalities in life experience can do to a psyche. Other adopted twin trials have found fascinating results where certain traits are maintained even though the monoygotic twins are brought up by different families.

The evidence is strong for a genetic connection for schizophrenia in twins who are brought up together. This still leads me to question the evidence because it also says that some twins have one of the pair schizophrenic and one not.

So whatever...but then why has psychiatry favoured drugs and biological treatments for so long? Psycholgoical treatment or social change are a small part of the psychiatric armentarium. This point would be better expressed by a trial where identical twins were separated at birth with one living in a developed world nation and one in a developing world nation.

Angelina Jolie and one of her future acquired offspring could be an essential step to answering a scientific question.

With regards to policy and practice and mental healthcare it doesn't really matter. Any idiot can see there's a big part played by things which aren't biological and little part played in the things which would treat it.

Any fucking idiot.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"