Sunday 13 November 2011

There's a part of me that wants to be understood

This isn't rocket science. Everyone wants to be understood. It is
probably a measure of well being to ask "do you feel people understand
you?" or "do you feel you have one person in your life who truly
understands you" or something like that.

It is a tough thing to have for a lot of people. For someone wh is
suicidal it is a little bit harder. It's just not something most people
are equipped to talk about or deal with.

The taboo is more than a gag of silence about talking about it. It's a
barrier to truly understanding it. It's also a barrier to prevention.

If suicide and the suicidal are ever to be truly understand then there
has to be legalisation. Self-termination and awareness of
self-termination need to be legalised to be talked about and become part
of society's fabric rather than something which is like a dirty little
secret no one wants to talk about or acknowledge.

In a small way it is acknowledged by the 1 in 6 people think about
suicide at some point in their life or the 6,000 a year do it
successfully. This is not reflected in the understanding of a lot of
people - friends - I've tried to talk to about.this. I've had everything
from tears to, perhaps, disblief to "oh just cheer up" or "it'll be
okay" or "just look on the bright side" or other phrases people use when
they're inadequate to talk about suicide.

The funny thing though? I'm not sure I understand myself. I want to die
and I know that but I've not dissected why. I'm okay to accept that this
is something I want and something I've wanted for a long time. It is
something of free will and free choice. There are factors of course and
life e vents haven't helped but there's no point looking at blame or
trying to undo things which can't be undone.

My facade - the personality I project - is not what people would expect
a suicidal person's character to be like. It is another barrier to
understanding me. Thankfully my old, close friends have always seen this
duality of the inner self and the outer character. They still find it
hard to integrate it all together and call it normal or something they
can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"