Tuesday 18 January 2011

The Biological Basis of the Placebo Effect

The Biological Basis of the Placebo Effect

by Eugene Russo
The Scientist 2002, 16(24):30
http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/13424/

This is the article I've been looking for. Makes for interesting reading
about the placebo effect. There's a biological basis for the existence of the placebo effect. How amazing is that? Influences outside biology create a neurobiological reaction which is as capable of treating depression as antidepressants. It doesn't work on all the areas of the brain which antidepressants work on but still has an effect which is as potent as an SSRI for many reasons. Remember that bigger pills, bright and better packaged pills have a better effect. This is how complex and how powerful the placebo effect is. It's not just physician-client relationships alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"