Friday 7 January 2011

Human Rights 2.0 / ISN

<http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Current-Affairs/Security-Watch/Detail/?lng=en&id=108920>

A press release with a link to a report which details the possibilities
for technology and human rights, i.e. how human rights can be empowered
and protected using technology. It seems (from the press release) the
premise is information. Abusive governments historically hide their
abuses. Increased recording capability available cheaply, e.g. the
mobile phone with video camera, offers the opportunity for citizens to
cover attrocities and the internet makes it possible cheap, easy and
open dissemination.

Take the example of the video taken on a mobile phone of the executions
of civilians by Sri Lankan soldiers. This sort of footage is rare
without mobile phones with cameras available to people in third world
nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"