Sunday 30 January 2011

How mobile phones might be helping to do something wortwhile

UN trialling mobile payments to help the poor
http://www.gomonews.com/un-trialling-mobile-payments-to-help-the-poor/

I've read a fair few articles and written a few on how the mobile phone
is going to revolutionise everything from shopping to gaming. Frankly I
don't give a flying fuck except when it comes to good ideas this this.
Mobile phones are to become the new wallet amongst other things. Again,
don't give a shit. But when local economies collapse and there's no one
or way to pay people but through mobile systems like GCASH then I'm
interested.

What's happened is the mobile phone has become something poorer people
in developing world countries can afford. Within a few years feature
phones will be even cheaper and I wonder if the developing world is
where a lot of recycled handsets end up too. Again, don't give a shit.

Except when I read an article like this. It gives me hope that the
progress of technology isn't there just to make the technorati and
investment bankers rich. It actually makes a difference to those worst
off. Fucking great work by the UN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"