Friday 28 January 2011

Technology reduces disability: the spell checker

My psleling can be really applaulling at times. I can type really fast
but my fingers don't awlays sync up to type the letters of the word
correctly.

There's a condition where people have this problem where thney find it
hard to spell words correctly. They'll often spelll them right
fonetically but because we're taught that words must be spelt as they
are this can still mean a person is considered less clever or whatever
because they don't spell the words perfectly.

The psell check is a life saver for many people. I assume it's brought
benefits to people with dyslexia. It has reduced one small aspect of the
disability by allowing computers to do the irrelevant stuff like getting
words spelt right. Leaves people to get on with important stuff, like
concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"