Friday 7 January 2011

Monkey neurochip research paper 2006

Long-term motor cortex plasticity induced
by an electronic neural implant
Andrew Jackson, Jaideep Mavoori & Eberhard E. Fetz
http://www.rifters.com/real/articles/Nature_cortical_implants.pdf

Some research I'll have to read later on the neurochipping of monkeys.
This is some seriously interesting stuff for transhumanism. It's just a
matter of time I think. There's also an interesting research opportunity
in the short term: people who have half their brain removed when they're
young. There's only a handlful of people (I hope) this happens to in
America every year. The hemispherectomy is an extreme operation
(http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-when-half-brain-better-than-whole)
because medical science doesn't know what to do to treat the seizures it
prevents.

The opportunity is the open corpus callosum, the bit which connects the
two hemispheres, the space in the skull cavity and the young age of the
recipients of this treatment. The younger they are the better the
results in later life because the surviving hemisphere can adapt better.
These could be the first test subjects for neurochipping humans.

Of course this is a very long way off in the future but I'm talking a
hundred or two hundred years. The neurochip made a monkey almost twice
as smart as the average monkey (a monkey IQ of 190). Many people would
take the opportunity to become geniuses if offered it by science, the
raw potential of genius rather than the dedication, singlemindedness and
tenacity to go out on a limb whether it be art, science or any other
field of human endeavour touched by geniuses of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"