Monday 5 September 2011

Addicted to altruism

I wonder if this pathology has ever been codified.

Of course not. Though the pattern could be the same for any other
addiction related mental illness the social judgements which are really
what the mental health system is all about haven't bothered to
pathologise this. Probably because they depend on the altruists like the
Eygptians depended on slaves to build the temples.

The pattern could exist though. The first hit of the joy of doing
something unselfish or for the greater good. The continued altruism
always hoping to feel that first hit again. The repeated abuse of the
high which leads to it no longer being a high. The poverty and other
poor outcomes which come from altruistic instead of selfish ways of
getting high.

But it's not considered bad. LOL. Drink and drugs are, and those who are
addicted to them are so heavily stigmatised and discriminated against.
Even by the Human Rights Act. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"