Wednesday 14 September 2011

Science and psychic powers

I've had strange experiences which seem beyond the realms of reality.
Powers of prediction, if only I knew how to use them and interpret what
they meant. Powers beyond what modern science can explain as possible.

There are published examples too if people would be willing to look for
them and read them. There are powers which people yet understand.

But these powers and events which seem psychic are not predictable, at
least not in my experience. I am careful to stay away from the biases
which would be unscientific.

What I mean is testing these psychic powers and remembering that they
don't work. Let's say I tossed a coin three times and predicted the
right side it would land. It's within the realms of chance for this to
be possible. Let's say I tried it another day and got all three wrong.
This is the sort of testing which many people would avoid. They might
forget the three incorrect predictions and tell the story or remember
the time they got it right.

It's not to say this potential doesn't exist. It's just to understand
that it isn't predictable and for many people it may not be real. It may
be a product of remembering the times the guesses were right and
forgetting the times the guesses were wrong.

As a technique for schizophrenia and other mental disorders which
involve quasi- or pseudo-psychic experiences it is useful to teach
people to be scientific about their experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"