Thursday 1 September 2011

I wonder if anyone has surveyed the average salary of people who have a severe mental illness?

I wonder if anyone has surveyed the average salary of people who've been
in a psychiatric ward?

The discrimination that women faced a century ago is akin to the
discrimination which the mentally ill face. It's not the same. It sounds
like women had a really fucking awful experience. The mentally ill
still suffer a lot of discrimination.

There is a significant difference in the disability, discrimination and
exclusion faced by the severely mentally ill compared to those with
common mental disorders when it comes to salary (and of course other
areas of life).

So many are poor. So many are excluded from employment by a variety of
factors related to their life course through mental illness and deficits
in other people and employment structures.

The severely mentally ill are as capable as automotons and some may even
excel if ever given the opportunity. Just like women and men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"