Saturday 3 September 2011

Alien hand syndrome, consciousness and interesting research

I had a notion about the internal dialogue. A treatment for epilepsy
involved the severing of the corpus callosum - the bit which connects
the two hemispheres of the brain. In a documentary one person who had
this done found one side of their body had a mind of its own. It was
quite frightening to watch as one arm involuntarily slapped the
patient's face. There is an even more severe operation done at John
Hopkins in the US where half a child's brain is removed to stop their
seizures. It leads me to consider whether these people have the same
experience of consciousness as anyone else, i.e. do they experience the
internal dialogue as we might? I know it's quite biomedical thinking to
consider this but...well...whatever. It would be an interesting piece of
research into the human consciousness.

This is the video of the patient who had the operation and lost
voluntary control of one side of her body.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12225163

It is also know as Alien hand syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_hand_syndrome

The problem, of course, is the communication of the internal experience
of consciousness. Our language and science is so limited in this area.
For this to be truly scientific great leaps would be needed. Perhaps
this is more important: creating the true language of consciousness.
Then so much more could be done to explore this area.

There would also be the problem of very small sample sizes.

But let's say this research happened. If, perhaps, those who have had a
corpus callosotomy.or hemispherectomy.have a different experience of
consciousness then it would lend credence to the biological model of
consciousness. It may also add food for thought to the Cartian Theatre
idea or other models of consciousness and biology.

This relates to schizophrenia in that the experience of control of the
body or thoughts could be a battle between resident consciousness. The
basic assumption about consciousness is we have one inhabiting our brain
and making up our mind. One sentience. My personal experience of
psychosis shatters this idea. The internal struggles I faced during
acute psychosis and the observation of my consciousness makes me think
there are more than one consciousnesses operating upon our biological
brain matter.

It is my belief that that at least one of these consciousnesses is not
of my body. This soul or spirit or god or non-corporeal alien connects
with my biological brain. There is also my own consciousness. My "I".
There may be other facets too. It is hard for me to remember my
experience of consciousness to better describe this experience of
multiple awarenesses existing within my stream of consciousness - the
stream of consciousness which most people (those without the changed
state of awareness) consider as their unitary consciousness and sense of I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"