Wednesday 21 April 2010

A good example of what the grass roots movement can uncover and something important about mental health policy I didn't know

This is information from a new blog I've come across from an independent
mental health campaigner.
http://www.zenasylum.com/2010/04/disability-discrimination-department-of.html

It warms me to see the work of the grass roots movement, work that's
rarely acknowledged and never funded. Its people who work tirelessly and
often alone but they have the passion and though unrecognised they make
an important difference. An inordinate amount of work has gone into this
issue and its one I hadn't heard about.

There's a lot of information on there gathered from a series of Freedom
of Information Act requests.
"

a previous response to a
question to Health Minister Phil Hope, the DoH stated

*" it was considered that offering a choice of provider or treatment to
service users with more severe and enduring conditions would not
always be appropriate."*


confirming that extending Patient Choice to mental health services
was considered and rejected on the basis of disability yet there is
no evidence that this decision ever took place within or was subject
to Equality Impact Assessment from the material placed in the public
domain.

At least not the material you redirected me to.

"

I'm going to get more information on this because it is a pretty
important thing if people are denied choice solely on the basis of
mental illness. That just doesn't sound right. How could mental health
services be excluded from this while Time to Change are banging on about
"mental illness is the same as physical illness."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"