Tuesday 6 April 2010

Miaow Miaow

The latest recreational drug is nicknamed Miaow miaow or Plant food. Its a new "research chemical" or "research ligand". It was developed by an Israeli enthogeon research company that designs legal highs. I haven't yet tried this drug but I think I need to.

Its soon to be made a Class B drug which flies in the face of expert opinion and is making the governments draconian drug policy all the more obvious for being prejudice rather than evidenced-based policy.

It is seen as a moral choice to say these drugs should be illegal. Many drug dealers must be rubbing their hands at the prospect of yet another new market for them thanks to the government.

The impact of making the drug illegal will not reduce its availability as is clear from the current drug situation in the UK. There is no drug problem as far as I am concerned because everyone can get them.

The UK government doesn't care about the lives of drug users however I and many other people do. By making them illegal it leaves the distribution purely in the unregulated hands of crime. A taxed, regulated system has so much potential for physical and mental health as
well as the social harms that come from addictions. The value for healthcare has already been demonstrated in the US for cannabis and more research into the other drugs will undoubtably lead to new treatments. MDMA, for example, could be used before ECT, high-CBD weed for psychosis before antipsychotics and alcohol and fun before antidepressants.

Drugs will have to be legalised one day but the political prejudice will be hard to breakdown. It's so high that they fire senior government advisors who don't tow the party line. It feels very Stalinesque to oust those with opinions that aren't of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"