Friday 16 April 2010

A short positive story from my life

When I was around 15 I was thrown out of home by my parents. They
couldn't handle me anymore. Its not surprising. I couldn't handle them
at the time either.

I ended up in a children's home in the Harlesden area. I still kept
attending the private school I went to. I started doing my GCSE exams
while I was in there. They moved me to a foster family within a month or
two and I finished my GCSEs. It was during this period I saw a
psychiatrist for the first time and they diagnosed me sane: a young kid
trying to be who they were in a strict home where that wasn't
acceptable. They may have thought my exams and the stress was making me
act out though I don't feel like that was a problem at the time. I
wasn't really interested in my exams or the grades. Being thrown out of
home was useful because all I could do was revise to keep me occupied. I
got very good grades because of that - so much so that the family were
more impressed with my grades than my cousin who got straight A* grades.

Within a a few months I returned home. After that my parents packed me
off to boarding school. I don't remember if I was already going to a
boarding school or not when I was thrown out of home. Like anyone else I
didn't really want to go but was accepting of any fate having gone
through the process of my life disintegrating. In the home I'd quickly
accepted a poor outcome. The two years at boarding school were two of
the best years of my life and I met some amazing people. The school I
went to took a lot of weird people and children that other schools
wouldn't take - children that I'm sure in the future may be given
diagnoses and excluded into special schools. It was a very liberal and
lefty school and very different from the two other private schools I'd
been to. I could grow and grow away from the rigourous standards of my
parents.

I applied to do a degree in Electronic Engineering. I applied to all the
top UK universities apart from Oxford and Cambridge (those just weren't
me) and was accepted by all of them. Through the interview at Imperial
College - the number 2 place in the world for my course - I was put in
touch with the Year In Industry scheme (http://www.yini.org.uk/) which
seeks "captains of industry in 20 years time" and gives them gap year
work experience and accelerated training.

I ended up working in Farnborough for the National Remote Sensing Centre
(now http://www.infoterra-global.com/). I ended up working as a
programmer for an image satellite data dissemnination system. The
project was for a state of the art imaging satellite called the ENVISAT
and it was a multinational European Space Agency project. I helped out
the programmers but also learnt a lot about programming and computers at
a very high level as well as seeing how a project is managed.

I usually summarise this story to "I know someone who was in a
children's home when they were 15 and programming for a European Space
Agency satellite when they were 18 so anything can happen."

I leave out a lot of important detail in the one line summary that makes
it less of a positive story but I still feel there is a postiive point
to be taken: anything can happen. There's a lot of bad things that
happen of course but sometimes its worth shutting that negative voice up
and just enjoying the hope that positive things can happen for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"