Sunday 4 April 2010

Was Jesus mad?

Now this is a piece that's likely to offend people because of the stigma
of madness but I hope readers are openminded.

There is a high likelihood that were Jesus to be born today he or she
would have a very unusual experience of consciousness and would get a
diagnosis related to psychosis, unshared perceptions or auditory
hallucinations.

40 years ago hearing voices meant immediate hospitalisation. Today
hearing the voice of god is assumed to no longer experienced anywhere in
humankind anymore, and anything akin to it is severe mental illness
according to the medical and psychiatric model. Believing yourself to be
the direct descendant of god is also a psychiatric illness worthy of the
honour of being called madness.

Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"