Saturday 24 April 2010

Isolation and better outcomes for mental illness

Isolation is often associated with mental ill health as a cause and a
consequence. It may also be a solution for mental ill health, perhaps.
There is a difference between loneliness and solitude.

It can be a consequence of the externalisations of the extreme internal
experiences. It is an unappreciated product of the stigma of mental illness.

I can see how it can be a cause. Solitude can lead to excessive
introspection. Lack of physical activity can lead to a biological low.
Lack of companionship may cause sadness.

There's another aspect that I find hard to communicate. Isolation makes
a person dead to society. A person exists by interaction with other
people. Its a quality of existance. I still exist through this blog and
through the emails and Facebook messages I write. This isn't true
isolation. Were I to stop I wouldn't exist in the world. I would exist
in my life of course. I would continue to exist physically. However my
part as an individual in society would have ceased to exist.

Treating isolation is effective at producing better outcomes. Studies on
psychological therapies often use psychosocial treatments such as
befriending or support groups as comparisons and in high quality trials
they're often show to be as effective as therapy from a professional
psychotherapist.

It doesn't take much of genius to work out that its a lot cheaper to
fund support groups and befriending programs than train professional
therapists to use a single form of therapy nationwide. £17.3 million as
a boost to local third sector organisations and individuals spent over 4
years could, according to the evidence, achieve significant benefits for
those most affected by mental ill health and those with common mental
health problems. For a tenth of the cost of the IAPT program significant
gains in quality of life and well being could be achieved and there
could be the creation of employment and volunteering opportunities for
the large number of people on long term medical benefits. If permitted
earnings are still available with ESA then the cost of employing people
on benefits would be low and this may provide a healthcare benefit for
them as well. This could provide an alternative pathway to a return to
work. Its also a boost to the voluntary sector organisations who are
already offering these treatments but who may be facing reduced income
caused by cut backs in government public spending and reduced donations
caused by the banking crisis and bailout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"