Tuesday 24 January 2012

Rights and interests of the disabled versus those of automotons

There's no difference. Not really. Human needs and rights apply universally. What differentiates things is the disabled have needs which others don't.

A person without legs for example needs a wheelchair whereas one with legs doesn't. I don't know if a legal right exists to provide a wheelchair or not, but this would make sense as a right in an advanced society.

I suppose here I'm rambling on about the right to be equal if a person desires. It is a bit more complex though. A person also has a right to be disabled too. This is about the integrity and sovereignty of different human types.

Through genetics or biomedical electronics there is a good chance that blindness may be eliminated in the future. Sight will certainly be able to be restored for most of those who want their sight restored. But there are some who may chose to remain blind. This may seem nonsensical to automotons. Most of them wouldn't understand the issue of integrity of self because they've never had it challenged nor suffered because of who they are.

Simply, the right for an automoton to exist is the same as the right for a disabled person to exist. A blind person may chose to remain blind even when the technology exists to restore their sight. This is their right and they play an important part in society. The blind and their experiences are part of the rich diversity of the human race, a richness far greater than pounds and pence will ever measure.

There is also another aspect related to automotons. If they become disabled they may have the right to become an automoton again but this would reduce the diversity of the human race.

This is where I am brutal. Being born sighted then losing sight is very difficult. I think anyone would want their sight back if this happened. Many have lived without the technology to restore sight but this will not happen in the future.

I suppose on this point I need to ask a question: do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Should disabled people be forced to continue to be disabled when their exists a technology to remove their disability for the good of humanity or should their needs and wants be met?

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"