Thursday 9 February 2012

Being born in a poor, disadvantaged background

Why the fuck isn't ths a mental illness?

I will always remember my old friend Steven Okon. He attended one of the top schools in the UK. It was very posh but he wasn't. He was from a broken home. I met him next in a children's home.

What was his impairment? Being born poor. At the age of 10 he excelled so much he broke through the barriers to get a fully assisted place at the top 5 school we both went to. He wasn't filling any tick box. He was talented in ways which I will never be almost 25 year on. He was poor though.

He didn't fit in. He was cool but alone and, perhaps, aloof. He distanced himself from all but a few people and eventually left this top private school in the first year. I met him again when my impairments were signficiant such that my family decided to throw me out. I met him in a children's home and he was in a system which didn't help him out of the trap of disability. He was a looked after child and his life was less ordinary when it needn't have been.

I hate arguing about his value for society but his value was mountains of cash. I would argue the loss to the individual is far greater. He deserved the fullest life opportunities just like any damn soul.

Argh. I get so damn tired or arguing the same shit. Born equal, die equal. What happens in between better be the same.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"