Tuesday 14 February 2012

Why is there no specfic treatment for suicidality?

A big part of the problem is the need for clinical diagnoses, especially in America but also in my personal experience in the UK.

Two years ago I went for help but there was none for me. Instead they pointed at what therapists want to believe and said it was all down to alcohol and cannabis, and refused me treatment unless I did what I was told and went to an addiction service.

The problem is there is no specific treatment for suicide. There's antidepressant and various other options for someone who fits in with the expected look of someone who is suicidal and the presentation of symptoms acknowledged as depression. Outside this there is no help from the formal mental healthcare system.

No treatment nor guidance has been written either partially because of the need for a diagnosis and partially because there is no solution to suicidality. There are ways to reduce the completed and unsuccessful suicide rate in people with specific disorders but no help nor treatment - in my personal experience - for living day after day wanting to die.

This is why I have to face this alone. There is nothing else. There are experts perhaps and I will have to find them but each has their own answer which may not be mine.

This is the problem of sucidality and treatment. There is no one size fits all approach. Except one. Assisted suicide. I hope I get it legalised soon.

Sent from my smartphone

1 comment:

  1. What a thoughtful post, albeit coming from a place of suffering. I agree with your perception that treatment for suicidality is grossly lacking. But I have run across a few programs and researchers who might be of interest to you. I blog about what I find on treating suicidality upstream. You're welcome to hang out there, if you like.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"