Wednesday 8 February 2012

Digital exclusion and mental illness

Mental illness and other disabilities come with recognised factors of exclusion but digital exclusion is little known or considered. This surprises me because many of the advances of the modern digital age are made possible through digital computer technology, from digital TV to the internet.

It is too easy to forget just what technology makes possible. Those who know how to use it can live a cheaper, fuller life and the opposite of this is what exclusion creates: a life less lived.

Digital creates opportunities from social networks and communciations to apply for jobs and finding housing. These are all areas where mental illness already creates exclusion. Lack of access to the digital world makes things worse.

Digital is also a new form of literacy. Language and arithmetic skills are assets of the Industrial Age. Computer and technological skills are assets at the end of the IA and the start of the next wave of civilisation's evolution. It is a new form of illiteracy and, I would guess, the digitally illiterate are more often mentally ill. In the future there may even be a new learning disability not related to IQ or a diagnosis not of dyslexia but of slow learning or in using a computer.

I live a life with a high level of worse outcomes compared to my peers - my family and many of my friends. The one thing which keeps my head above water is my digital literacy which usually excels. This may create a bias in my thinking but it may also help me see a problem for others in my situation.

I am able to live a reasonable life because I use the internet to shop for things, live cheap but spend on things which I want. I live frugally but with luxuries others don't have who are reduced to my quality of life.

I've been at the bad end of things till I learned to live poor and live well. It is still shit though. No one should have to go through this shit.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"