Friday 10 February 2012

The legalisation of assisted suicide is such an obvious idea

It is mind bogglingly simple as a way to reduce the completed suicide rate.

6,000 people a year successfully take their lives and suicide prevention - for all its unethical practices - has done little to reduce this. Part of the reason is the process which a person goes through. They don't talk about it. They don't hold on or wait till things get better. There's no option for healthcare apart from if they are unsuccessful. There is nothing anyone can do.

There is if people know they can go somewhere to be killed. There is hope for suicide prevention when this is available and everyone knows about the 4 year wait. 4 years is a long time for anyone who wants to die and this is the only flaw in the idea.

It is an ample length of time to ensure the person has capacity and that they know things can get better. It is time to build resilience and whatever else. It is time for the person to ensure they are sure that self termination is what they want. It also offers ample time for people to discover why people want to die.

The right to die is a basic right and this system is still flawed but it is moderate enough to persuade people today to be truly compassionate and end my fucking life.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"