Tuesday 14 February 2012

Why didn't I take antidepressants when offered in the psychiatric ward?

I started 2012 in a psychiatric ward as a psychiatric prisoner. The first few days I was a total wreck. Sobbing and withdrawn or angry and unstable.

They offered me antidepressants along with the other medication I now take. I refused the antidepressants which may seem a strange thing to do.

The simple reason was my life was shit. My situation was shit. Everything was shit. I was trapped in a psychiatric ward with little money at the end of a very bad year and the start of what I expect will be little different.

This sounds like a good reason to take antidepressants but I didn't think so. It is normal to feel bad when things are bad. It isn't a question of fitting the clinical diagnosis of depression. It is life circumstances and the environment being shit so the natural emotional reaction is to feel awful. This is exactly how I felt but it is a human response not a spurious and incomprehensible feeling.

I have recovered and my circumstances are a little better, better than shit. I am without a fixed abode but this is being resolved soon too. I don't feel positive about the future nor do I feel good about positive changes like moving from being a detained patient to being in a recovery/crisis house nor getting a more permanent place to live. I feel few pleasures if any, but I can laugh and joke and pretend things are okay and maintain the facade of normality. I can talk and smile and communicate and interact most of the time.

Inside I don't feel good and I'm praying for death every night. This morning I woke up feeling bleak even though I'm a step closer to a better life. Perhaps it was just forcing myself to get up earlier or perhaps it is depression which doesn't fit the expected symptoms or presentation.

The key thing is when I feel antidepressants are appropriate. As things are getting better I should be feeling better. Positive events should be making me happier, in the short term at least. They're not though and I don't know why. My emotional responses are not as I would expect them and I'm tired of feeling shit.

I can feel good though even if it is short lasting. I still have this part of my emotional range. It is just most of the time I don't feel good and perhaps my emotional range is skewed by prolonged misery, I.e. my version of feeling good is another person's unhappiness and my unhappiness would kill someone else.

Sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"