Saturday 18 January 2014

A summary of the masculine epistemology of mental health in a poem by Rudyard Kipling.

http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm

It's strange to think their are other mental health ideologies. There are many. Most are only subtly different but the so-called traditional male epistemology of mental health is fundamentally different as, I hope, this poem illustrates.

This ideology of mental health is a shadow of its former self. Where once it dominated Industrial Revolution nations' social landscape today I can only recall the concept of resilience which bears a sense of survival and toughness, poor self- esteem/ humility, internalisation of suffering and other themes so well described by Kipling.

To be continued.

- sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"