Saturday 18 January 2014

It's always wise to have spare capacity

I was looking at the strap of my bag as it hung from my wardrobe door when this thought arrived.

It reminds me of a discussion I had with the director of a mental health charity. People shouldn't routinely work at their peak performance because when shit happens- which it invariably does- there's no spare capacity to deal with it as well as it could be if employees aren't pushing themselves to the brink regularly.

From cars to microchips the revving up of performance risks unstable conditions like an engine blow out. Having spare capacity protects against the stressful nature/ impact of unknown variables which are predictable only in their unpredictability.

- sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"