Wednesday 15 January 2014

Fire is amazing

I was reminded of a physics lesson at school where the teacher was explaining that everything in the physical world can be categorised as solid, liquid and gas.

As I remember it I asked a question.
What about fire?

I was promptly jeered at by others in my class but the teacher thought it was a good question, one he didn't have the answer to.

In fact I wasn't clever enough to have come up with the question. It was something my grandfather asked me and I couldn't answer. Everyone should have a grandfather like mine. Except for the authoritarian, cranky, foul tempered disciplinarian bit. That wasn't good.

Anyway, fire. My physics teacher went away and asked the question to the other science teachers. At the next lesson he told the class the answer. If I remember it right it went something like this.
Fire is an incandescent semi gaseous solid.

Cool huh? Fire isn't one thing. It's something in transition and as it changes- reacts- it gives off light we see as the flame.

The flame is the incandescence which comes from carbon particles (the solid ish bit) turning into a gas which doesn't act like a proper gas. It's' weighed down' to stay near the fuel source.

So there you go. Fire is magic.

- sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"