Tuesday 7 January 2014

Mental health, housing design, evolutionary psychology and getting it wrong?

I've been thinking about home design and mental health. I remember something I scribbled in a notepad many moons ago. It was a communal house design mixing different types of people each with their own personal area all tailored to their needs and a communal area all personal areas were connected to.

There's more to the idea but the reason I remembered was it applies what I guess are mental health answers derived from my basic interpretation of primate psychology.

Most, if not all, primates exist in groups. Family, community, tribe or whatever else is humans expressing this basic drive to exist in groups. My sketch of an alternate collective home design fits the bill of a mentally well housing setup. I'm e explaining this poorly but I hope you catch my drift. Communal living is what homo sapiens was designed to exist in and therefore would make most happier.

But I now think I'm wrong because I failed to account for societal system caused misery.

Poor employment practices developed through the industrial revolution ignored basic humanity in favour of productivity and technological advancement. So much of so many people's social time was made miserable that further social contact for some was unwanted or became an additional chore. The evolution to the nuclear family might be taken as evidence of just how bad things are.

Apes live an idyllic life in comparison to developed world worker bees, especially those bees whose skills and work aren't valued. Maladjusted employment environments creates miserable conscious beings who end up preferring solitude and that's why the current housing paradigm might actually be appropriate. Communal housing risks further unwanted stress on an already heavily damaged conscious being.

People need their personal  castles to protect and defend their psyche from misery. This is contrary to our design but necessitated because the demands of employment crushes the organism so much that further voluntary social contact is for too many people something to be avoided.

This effect us caused partly by the inception of the mental health system and the lack of compassion this mal adjustment caused is part of why the system was created in the first place.

- sent from my smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"