Tuesday 27 July 2010

A bit of the history of UK mental healthcare and the word idiot

http://www.institutions.org.uk/poor_law_unions/imbeciles.htm

"
1913
The Mental Deficiency Act 1913
Four "classes" of Mental Deficiency were defined:

Idiot ~ unable to protect themselves from common dangers.

Imbecile ~ could protect themselves from common dangers, but unable to
take care of themselves.

Feeble-Minded ~ required care to protect themselves.

Moral Defectives ~ criminal or vicious personalities. Unmarried Mothers
also became absorbed into this category!

The Board of Control was established who took on the powers and
responsibilities of the Lunacy Commissioners.
"

The word itself has been around for much longer.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=idiot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"