Tuesday 27 July 2010

A silly idea for a social marketing campaign

There's a group on Facebook that's campaigning for Facebook to be
turned pink for a week to raise awareness of breast cancer.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turn-Facebook-Pink-For-Breast-Cancer/119451101426996?ref=search

There's a more popular one for Alzheimers.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turn-FacebookTM-Purple-For-A-Day-To-Raise-Alzheimers-Awareness/239326438796?ref=ts&v=wall
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Turn-FacebookTM-Purple-For-A-Day-To-Raise-Alzheimers-Awareness/239326438796?ref=ts&v=wall>

Wouldn't it be amusing to start one to campaign to turn Facebook blue?
It's the sort of silly thing that could work. People might see the group
and skip past it because it was weird, or they might look in the group
to see what it's about because it's quirky. I think the mental health
fraternity/sorority could all come together to find it amusing.

These viral stunts are really touch and go but this is a totally no
effort idea. I remember seeing Psychiatric Barbie viral through the
mental health community on Facebook. Sadly I can't find the page anymore.

Here's a somewhat similar blog.
http://psychiatristbarbie.wordpress.com/

The PB team had some great content and that's what got people into it. A
talented media creative could make the turn Facebook blue for mental
health awareness or depression awareness into a workable idea that could
get a message across too. It might make a few depressed people on
Facebook smile briefly, and if that's not a worthy result then I'm not
sure I know what a worthy result is.

As always, it's just an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"