Tuesday 27 July 2010

What to do about a pledge to stop hurting people with bad words?

I don't agree that the whole climate change thing is based on solid evidence but I go to things like climate camp and do my bit in other ways.

There's a pledge I'm having trouble signing. I encourage you to sign it.
http://www.stampoutstigma.co.uk/pledge/#pledge

"
Send a clear message that we should not hurt people with mental illness and learning disabilities by calling them names that are offensive.
"

To me the very labels themselves are offensive but I use words like bipolar and schizoaffective and dual diagnosis and mixed affective disorder.

I had to go through a long process to become ok with the labels and I became ok with all the labels. I became proud of being mad. That's not a journey many psychiatrists will help a patient through. I am mentally ill but that is me. I am mad but that is me. I'm a lunatic, idiot, moron, cunt. That's me too. I'm a self-hating loser. That's me too. And I'm so fucked up I'm proud of that, or at least that's what my mask shows.

The campaign is called has a tag "sticks and stones" and it makes me think the campaign's a joke.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Wasn't that the thing I was taught when I was young?

I get hurt when people stop people using words. But perhaps that's because I'm insensitive to the negative connotations. I had to become insensitive to them because a psychiatrist once used a perjorative word on me once. He called me "bipolar". I had to learn to accept my madness, my irrationality, chaoticness and all other manner of negative descriptions of me.

For all those who think there's nothing wrong with being bipolar you're right. Totally right. However...the label means society doesn't want you to be how you are. Your 'type' is unwanted. Your periods of irrationality (mania) and laziness (depression) can be taken away along with your emotions through treatment. Once you're not longer yourself you're recovered and normal. Underneath the language of mental illness there is this perspective but I think I'm probably the only person who thinks like this.

And psychiatrists. What they read, write and learn about the mentally ill is totally different from "mental health problems". Their perspective is different from the patients. They call mental illness behavioural and emotional disorders. They read articles in journals like Behavior Modification. They treat mental illnesses like pedophilia (in the US). The language they use has gotten better over the years however the concepts behind the words are the important thing, in my opinion.

But perhaps other people are less insensitive than me. Perhaps by MPs using the word it means those children who watch party politics and are into the voting process might think that nutters are also anti-Semetic, racist, homophobic or worse still...they are Conservatives. I think "Conservatives" shouldn't be used either. It's a horrible word to describe horrible people...sorry. Inappropriate humour for a piece about something that I'm passionate about.

In all seriousness it is a very difficult pledge to sign. I want to support the campaign but the campaign is something that's against what I stand for. I genuinely like the song Original Nutter and have danced to it many a time. I also like the song Bonkers. If I sign the pledge it's like signing those songs away, because that's what the movement behind this campaign want.

There's 14.146 people who think the pledge is important. They want 100,000 to take the pledge? There's a lot of people who are of the same cause as me who would sign that pledge.

Do I throw away my integrity for solidarity with a common cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"