Thursday 29 July 2010

ugh. One more thing.

The figure for number of people that died through the use of
antipsychotics in people with dementia. It's a question I asked myself
in a previous blog post
<http://imaginendless.blogspot.com/2010/07/there-are-real-mental-illnesses.html>.

It's 1,800 deaths a year
<http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/Antipsychotic-use-in-dementia.aspx>
in the UK. That's a lot. I think that's higher than the number of murders.

I should probably ask how the hell antipsychotics became used to treat
dementia patients enmasse. How did the medical profession allow this to
happen? They're not murderers. I know lots of doctors. They're people
doing their job and a very hard job. It just seems there isn't enough
oversight. It's a bit like the bankers. They're human but the unintended
consequences of their mistakes means people die.

It is a strong piece of evidence that should be enough for anyone to
work out that people who have to take antipsychotic medication for life
will have a reduced life expectancy caused by the chemical cosh.

In 2010 though there is no alternative based on the current paradigm of
research published in established peer reviewed journals. I suppose I
should get on and leaf through Schizophrenia Bulletin to see if there's
anything in there but I'm so tired and I haven't eaten and I just want
to cry but I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"