Tuesday 27 July 2010

nutter

Apparently this word is no longer safe to be used. The PC police have
come down on Nick Clegg called the Conservative group in the European
Parliament as "nutters, anti-Semites, people who deny climate change
exists and homophobes" but has apologised to Stand to Reason.

Admittedly lumping nutters in with the rest of those other extreme
pariahs and perjoratives isn't very nice. I'm assuming the word was used
in it's sense of craziness rather than foraging.

As a nutter myself I don't see anything wrong with the word. There's no
real negative associations with it like the word psycho. The thing is
I've got no problem with the word psycho either though. I'm also not
wholly bought into the evidence for climate change. I must admit I feel
marginally annoyed that I'm lumped in with homophobes and anti-Semites.

People forget that learning disabilities and/or people with low IQs are
part of the group called the mentally ill. Idiots often forget that. The
reason I used the word idiot there is because it describes a mentally
deficient person. Only a stupid person wouldn't know that. And a dumb
person wouldn't realise that I've used 3 perjorative words for mental
illnesses in this paragraph, words that can be used by the media and
politicians.

Has there been a movement to ensure those with learning disabilities are
protected in the saw way people people with a diagnosis of antisocial
personality disorder are? The answer is no. Mencap get on with whatever
they do and have been rarely noted to speak out against the use of
language. The Mental Health Foundation have little media presence and
may have a better sense of sanity when it comes to the importance of
words. Mind don't really do learning disabilities stuff. I'm not sure
what Rethink do.

If Nick Clegg had called the Conservative group idiots instead of
nutters it would have been ok. If the Sun prints a headline that says
"thicko" or the Daily Mail prints "stupidity" that's ok but psycho and
schizo aren't.

I don't want to loose the word nutter. It's not usually a perjorative at
least in my head. It actually has a warm and fuzzy feel to the word. It
wouldn't be something I feel particularly bad about.

There's a jungle anthem by Shy Fx (with Apache doing the MCing I think)
called Original Nutter and it's a tune that's well know amongst 'heads.
It has the lyrics
"
Wha mi tell ya, rude bwoy
Watch it now, man

Mi are di nuttah
Original madmah madmah mad nuttah
Original madamadamadamadamadamadamadamadah nuttah
Original madmah madmah mad nuttah
Original madamadamadamadamadamah

Mi are di nuttah
Mi badder than di bad bwoy Darth Vader feared
Let off da Jedi where you are, Skywalker
Inna Wan's school dem call mi troublemaker
"

http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1218573/Shy-FX-Original-Nutter-Lyrics

It sounds better than it reads though perhaps if you're a Radio 4
listener you might not find it your cup of tea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACCDZlLLV0I&feature=related
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACCDZlLLV0I&feature=related>

Would the politically correct police censor art and music? Of course
not. I'm being paranoid. That would be bonkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"