Thursday 8 July 2010

A large percentage of the completed suicides in women in the UK are by people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia

About 20% of a the direct victims of suicide in the UK are by people
with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. About 50% of the suicides are from
men and 35% from women (don't know what happened to the other 15% - it
can't be that hard to record gender after a suicide).(Mortensen and Juel
(1993) cited in http://pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/25/2/46). There
are several other sources that note the considerably higher risk of
completed suicide of women with a diagnosis of schizophrenia compared to
the national average for women. The ratio for the whole population is
something like 75% of completed suicides are men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"