Saturday 10 July 2010

Pressure cookers, mental health and the workplace

Many workplaces are not built for the mentally ill, even for those
taking medication to mask their symptoms.

The pressure cooker effect is something many people will have seen. It
is something that happens in many work environments, from the call
centres of middle England to the war zone of Afghanistan. Something
builds up till it explodes catastrophically when the steam of whatever
pent up emotion wasn't been processed is vented. It is a natural process
for some people but it is not acceptable in many workplaces.

I've seen it happen and it's happened to me.

The recent story about the slaughter in Cumbria by an individual who'd
been bottling up his problems resonated the idea of the pressure cooker
effect.

For the employer it can mean the loss of an employee without
understanding what happened. For the employee it can be harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"