Friday 3 December 2010

The etymology of compersion

http://practicalpolyamory.blogspot.com/2010/11/etymology-of-compersion.html?zx=a30c53f487536f21

"
So we know what and where, but not the how of it. Not being a language
expert myself, the best I could come up with to answer this question is
this. I suspect that the "comp" part refers to compassion. "Per,"
according to the online etymology dictionary, means "through, across,
beyond," and the suffix "sion" means "the condition or state of being"
according to Wiki.Answers.com.

So that gives us compersion - compassion beyond, across or through what
is normally a block to positive emotion about such circumstances as a
condition or state of being. In this case the compassion is felt for
our love and their love, i.e. the ability to feel a partner's joy across
or through our relationship with that partner and be happy for it.
Wordsmiths are welcome to refine or correct as desired.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

We It comes in part from an appreciation that no one can truly sign their own work. Everything is many influences coming together to the one moment where a work exists. The other is a begrudging acceptance that my work was never my own. There is another consciousness or non-corporeal entity that helps and harms me in everything I do. I am not I because of this force or entity. I am "we"